1950 – Congregation Beth Israel Temple is one of three Jewish congregations in the Lower Río Grande Valley. It is one of two worship complexes that Cocke, Bowman & York designed (the other is the First Presbyterian Church in Edinburg). Temple Beth Israel exhibits York’s propensity for house-like scale, articulated construction, and creating indoor-outdoor continuity. Despite alterations over the course of its sixty-nine-year history, the temple retains many of the characteristic details that make Cocke, Bowman & York’s buildings so remarkable.
Text provided by Rice University Professor Stephen Fox. Photos by Nydia O. Tapia – Gonzales