House of Mo-Rose Packing Shed, Rancho Viejo, 1961, Taniguchi & Croft
Alan Taniguchi and his partner Charles Croft were especially identified with the use of thin-shell technology in the Valley. Their House of Mo-Rose citrus packing shed of 1961 was roofed by an economical system of cast-in-place concrete hyperbolic paraboloid vaults.
Harlingen Mod is celebrating The Diversity of Modernism focusing on the work of Japanese-American Architect Alan Y. Taniguchi who had his practice in Harlingen, Texas in the 1950s and 1960s. October is Mod Month. The photos on this post were taken by Nydia Tapia Gonzales during a recent boat cruise along the Rancho Viejo Resort resaca.
Alan Taniguchi’s now-demolished Flato Memorial Livestock Pavilion in Kingsville (1959), on which he collaborated with planner S. B. Zisman and landscape architect Stewart King, was his first experiment with thin-shell concrete construction. Taniguchi and Croft were inspired by the Spanish-Mexican engineer Félix Candela, who attained international recognition in the 1950s for his boldly shaped, thin-shell concrete structures. Although Taniguchi and Croft did not work directly with Candela, they worked with other design professionals who had, suggesting how the assertive but economical hyperbolic paraboloid shapes, justifiable because they were outgrowths of the process and materials of construction, came to figure in Valley architecture. After Taniguchi departed for Austin, Croft continued to experiment with concrete construction, as can be seen at San Felipe Neri Catholic Mission in Harlingen and office buildings for the Cameron County Water Irrigation District in Harlingen and La Feria.
To read more about Taniguchi’s life and work, please click on the link above.